If you’re keeping up with the latest in science, you would know how unhealthy and dangerous nail-polish can be. Filled with large amounts of Parabens, Formaldehyde, Dibutyl Phthalate, Bisphenol A (BPA) and Toluene just to name a few, these bright and colorful concoctions are far away from safe. They can make your hands shine, but will eventually damage your nails and deteriorate your health.
So what’s a girl to do?… go Naturale of course!
Natural buffed nails are the way to go these days, and may I say healthier?…
But to have really gorgeous perfect natural mani-pedi a few must products are required:
- nail files set or multi-surface nail file – a good nail file or a set makes a huge difference when it comes to care for your nails. The kind of nail file you need will depend on your nails and how you plan to use it. To shorten your natural nails use a nail-file with a 180-grit. To shape your nails use a finer nail file (the higher the number the finer it is). Trying to shorten or shape your natural nails with a coarser nail file will damage your nails making them prone to chips and splits. Metal nail files, although easier to sterilize and long lasting are not recommended if your nails are too thin or fragile as they tend to be hard on the nail.
- nail scissors – a good pair of nail scissors are a must to trim down a broken nail and clean any ragged skin around the nail, but never use them to cut your cuticles! Cuticles should never be cut down, just pushed, as they help protect the nail bed from infection and fungi.
- angle-tipped nail stick – the perfect tool to gently push back the cuticles! A must on any mani-pedi kit. This little tool needs to be replaced at least once a year, as the wood can harvest bacteria.
- buffing block or buffing disk – when it comes to make those natural nails shine, a buffing block or disk is the way to go! If you don’t have a buffing block invest in a good one. Try not to use the buffer and shiner from your multi-surface nail file for more than once a week as these very fine files will thin and weaken your nails faster.
- good organic cuticle oil – a good organic well balanced cuticle oil is the key for healthy natural nails, so invest in a good one! Our Roses & Apricot and Lavender & Lime Cuticle Oils are made with organically grown vegetable oils using well balanced formulas designed to moisturize, hydrate and soften even the most resilient dry cuticles.
*Don’t forget to keep your tools clean and sterilized to avoid nail infections.
Perfect Natural Manicure Step by Step
A Naturale manicure is achieved very easily with these easy to follow steps:
Step 1 – Using small scissors, carefully clean up any ragged skin around the nail without cutting cuticles. Cuticles help protect the nail bed from infection and fungi and they shouldn’t be removed.
Step 2 – Fill a small bowl or a basin half way through with warm water or enough water to dip your fingers in. Add 1 tablespoon of sea salt and 1/2 a ml (about 14 drops) of Roses & Apricot or Lavender & Lime Cuticle Oil. Soak hands for about 5-10 minutes (or longer for extra dry cuticles). Sea salt helps remove dead cells and soften rough skin, while cuticle oil helps replenish skin and soften cuticles for easy pushing. For a quicker manicure skip the water bowl and apply one drop of Roses & Apricot or Lavender & Lime Cuticle Oil directly on the cuticle on each finger and massage until cuticles feel soft.
Step 3 – Using an angle-tipped nail stick, gently push back cuticles toward the base of the nail. If cuticles are still too hard to push, dip fingers back in the water for a few more minutes or apply a second drop of oil on each cuticle and massage.
Step 4 – Gently dry your hands and shape nails with a nail file. Avoid sawing back and forth as this can damage the nail causing the nail to split; instead file in one direction only.
Step 5 – Moisturize your hands with a few drops of Roses & Apricot or Lavender & Lime Cuticle Oil. The vegetable fats and vitamin E in these oils, will replenish your skin and help achieve a nice shine in your nails.
Step 6 – Using the buffing block or disk, buff the entire surface of the nails in a side-to-side motion.
Once you go Au Naturale, you won’t go back! Not only will you be saving money, but your nails will be healthier than ever and you’ll have more free time!