Panino col Tonno (Tuna sandwich)Course: Food, Manuela’s JournalCuisine: Northern Italian – TriesteDifficulty: Easy
A simple, fulfilling and nutritious summer favorite at my house.
1 French baguette. I prefer the French baguettes from EuroBake which I bake as needed. Any other french style bread works just fine.
1 can of Tuna. Wild Planet Albacore is always my choice, but you can use your own trusted brand or make your own with fresh tuna.
1/4 cup thinly sliced yellow onion.
1 tablespoon of homemade Olive Oil mayonnaise. Or you can use your favorite brand.
1/4 teaspoon of Dijon mustard.
1/4 cup of gala apples, skinned and chopped.
2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
1 tablespoon of chives, finely chopped.
1 tablespoon of green onions, finely sliced.
1 large salad tomato, washed and chopped.
The juice of 1/2 a lime. Can be substituted for lemon juice instead.
Salt & pepper to taste
- My selection of lettuces, which I grow in my garden, but you can use what’s available in your area.
1/4 cup of Black Seed Simpson lettuce, washed and cut in bite size pieces.
1/4 cup Red Leaf Romaine Lettuce, washed and cut in bite size pieces.
1/4 cup Green Leaf Romaine Lettuce, washed and cut in bite size pieces.
1/4 cup Radicchio Verde Triestino* (green radicchio from Trieste) washed. Because of its small size this lettuce doesn’t need to be cut.
*This is a type of chicory only popular in Trieste Italy. It cannot be found in the US but if you want to grow it yourself the seeds are available for purchase online through my friends at Seeds from Italy.
- Drain the water from the can of tuna.
- In a large bowl break the tuna in chunks. Add the mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper to taste and mix.
- Add the lettuces, onion, olive oil, apple, chives, green onions, tomato and the lime juice and mix until everything is incorporated.
- Adjust for salt and pepper if needed. Set aside.
- Bake the baguette as per the packaging instructions.
- Slice the baguette open and fill with the tuna/salad mix.
- Cut in half for 2 large panini or cut in smaller size panini.
- Pairs well with a glass of white or pink sweet wine.